This is our weekly update for the 41st week of 2017. The features and fixes might arrive at the desktop and mobile app a few days later than the web version.
- [Tag pane] Added ability to rename tags in a document. To rename, double click on a tag under “Document tags”, or right click on it and choose “Rename”. Note that it doesn’t work for tags under the “All tags” section yet.
- [Infrastructure] We’ve rewritten our backend to put less load on the database when possible. This should make Dynalist servers more reliable in the future!
This is our weekly update for the 40th week of 2017. The features and fixes might arrive at the desktop and mobile app a few days later than the web version.
- [Shortcut] Shortcuts are revamped to avoid conflicts. Please see this post for more details.
- [UI] Current zoomed-in item now has checkbox, so you can click on something in Search Everywhere results and check it right away.
- [File attachments] Fixed uploaded files have wrong default permission on server side. Please see this post for more details.
- [UI/minor] Fixed display first line of note not working properly in Firefox.
- [Mac desktop] Fixed forward/backward shortcuts not working. The previous shortcut, Ctrl+Left/Right are used to switch spaces in Mission Control, so Dynalist cannot use it. The new shortcuts are Ctrl+[ (left bracket) for Back and Ctrl+] (right bracket) for Forward. Note that it’s Ctrl rather than Cmd. This will arrive in desktop v1.0.42.
As some of you may know, we’ve been wanting to tweak our default shortcuts for some time now. There are three major reasons:
- Some shortcuts conflict with typing certain characters in certain keyboard layouts such as French and Polish. Examples:
Ctrl+Alt is equivalent to
AltGr on those keyboard layouts. Our current workaround is to provide an option to choose your keyboard layout, but honestly it sucks because it’s hacky and unintuitive.
- Some shortcuts conflict with browser default shortcuts. Example:
Ctrl+L is used to go to address bar in Chrome, but in Dynalist it formats text as LaTeX.
- Some shortcuts are not usable on Mac. They input a character and is never captured by our system. Example:
Alt+C to toggle checked items.
Our solution is to change all of the problematic shortcuts at once, to avoid having you guys adjust multiple times as we iterate on this, hence this PSA. The following is what going to change:
Removed but still customizable
- Toggle checked item visibility (previously
- Toggle notes visibility (previously
- Insert LaTeX (previously
- Make heading 1~3 (previously
Ctrl+Alt+1~3), clear heading (previously
- Make color label 1~6 (previously
Ctrl+Shift+1~6), clear color label (previously
- Make checklist is changed from
- Make numbered list is changed from
- Toggle heading, which is
- Toggle color label, which is
- New shortcut to add strikethrough or mark text as strikethrough. It’s empty and customizable.
Changes can be a bit hard to adjust to at first, and we hope you can bear with us! The existing conflicts have caused much confusion and annoyance, which is why we’re changing them for the better.
Thanks for reading!
This is our weekly update for the 39th week of 2017. The features and fixes might arrive at the desktop and mobile app a few days later than the web version.
- [iOS] We added Slide Over support for iOS! It will come in version 1.1.16, which is in review and will be out soon.
- [Search] Improved link and tag clickability when they match the search query.
This is our weekly update for the 38th week of 2017. The features and fixes might arrive at the desktop and mobile app a few days later than the web version.
- [Import] Import from OPML. Now you can click on the “+” icon at the top of the file pane and directly import an OPML file into a new document.
- [Search] Search Everywhere results now correctly use the checked item and note visibility settings. For example, if you’ve set checked items to be hidden and notes to only show 1st line, this will now be consistent in Search Everywhere results.
- [Daily backup] Now you can move the Dynalist backup folder in your Google Drive root, as long as you don’t rename it.
- [Print] Fixed printed document doesn’t take full page width when the Shortcut & Formatting Help pane is open.
This is our weekly update for the 37th week of 2017. The features and fixes might arrive at the desktop and mobile app a few days later than the web version.
- [Search] Always show completed items when searching for “is:completed”, even when you’ve set completed items to hidden.
- [Mobile] Allow opening all external URL schemes. That is, you can open links to open other apps (e.g. opening an Evernote link that starts with “evernote://”) in Dynalist.
- Fixed pasting from Microsoft Word randomly deletes spaces.
- Fixed Up/Down key not working currently in the current zoomed in item title when there are multiple lines.
- Fixed “**#tag**” doesn’t correctly show up as bold.
This is our weekly update for the 36th week of 2017. The features and fixes might arrive at the desktop and mobile app a few days later than the web version.
- [Mobile app] True black mode. Under this mode, the background color is true black, which is softer on the eye during the night, as well as saving battery on AMOLED displays.
- [Inbox capture] Added global shortcut to invoke Dynalist capture to inbox on the desktop app (coming in version 1.0.40).
- [Mobile app] Made Tab to indent and Shift+Tab to unindent shortcuts work with external keyboards on the iOS mobile app (coming in version 1.1.14).
- [Shortcut] Pro users can now customize the shortcuts for indenting and unindenting as well.
- [Account] You can now delete your account on your own.
- [Account] You can now unlink your Google account on your own.
- [Support] We updated most how-to guides to include instructions for the mobile app. They used to only contain instructions for web/desktop app.
- [UI/minor] Fixed document/folder context menu is sometimes blank when you resize the app.
This is our weekly update for the 35th week of 2017. The features and fixes might arrive at the desktop and mobile app a few days later than the web version.
- [Inbox] Added option to capture to the top of the inbox item rather than the bottom. This option can be found in Settings – Preferences – Your inbox.
- [Infrastructure] As mentioned in our postmortem, we’ve optimized database indices to make a particularly slow query run much faster to reduce risk for downtime in the future.
- [Sync] Fixed some client sync issues that were related to the downtime last week. We also added warning when sync fails and edited the “make backup” explanation to be clearer to avoid accidental data loss.
- [Copy/paste] Fixed links sometimes not properly converted to Markdown when pasted into Dynalist.
- [Referral] We’ve set referral pages to be not indexable by the search engines to prevent referral abuse, after discovering that a referral link appeared as the top result for “dynolist” on Google.
- [Inbox] Fixed cursor position not being restored after capturing to inbox.
- [UI/minor] Fixed cannot view created date when hovering the bullet point on desktop app (will be released in the next desktop version).
For those not familiar with the word “postmortem” in our context, it’s a report after a serious incident that explains the causes of the incident and comes up with ways to prevent such incidents in the future.
Background info: Dynalist was slow and sometimes inaccessible from 2 AM to around 2:28 PM EDT on August 28, 2017. No data was lost.
Link to the postmortem (analysis): click here.
We’re really, really sorry for this incident and the inconveniences it caused.
This is our weekly update for the 34th week of 2017. The features and fixes might arrive at the desktop and mobile app a few days later than the web version.
- Real-time sync. Now instead of asking the server “is there any changes?” every few seconds, the server “pushes” things to the client whenever there’s change. This is only being tested on the web app right now; soon it will be available on desktop and mobile apps too. (So Francisco you guessed right last week! 👍)
- [Infrastructure] On Saturday night, we migrated and scaled our severs as server usage has grown a lot. With the new setup, we expect server availability to be better in the long term.
- [UI/minor] Fixed “Ctrl+Enter” to enter global search doesn’t show up as “Cmd+Enter” on macOS.