After finishing up with polishing Google Calendar integration, now it’s time to catch up on bugs and improvements:
- We’re continuing the investigation on the blank screen problem with desktop apps, as well as beta mobile app crash when opening a large document. So far, we’ve got no luck reproducing either problem, so if you know any additional details as to how to make the the problem happen consistently, it would help tremendously! Don’t hesitate to shoot us a note about any findings you’ve got. Thanks in advance!
- [Reliability] We set up monitoring for a few key metrics on the server. This will let us know about anything abnormal with the server, before it eventually leads to downtime. Hopefully this will prevent incidents like what happened last Wednesday in the future.
- [Date/UI] Now you can remove a date quickly by clicking it while holding Alt.
- [Gcal] Fixed date off by one for timezones in the UTC +1 to UTC +14 range (looks like “you’ll run into at least one timezone-related bug when doing any time-related stuff” is very true).
- [UI/minor] Fixed date picker opens when tapping on a date in Read Mode on mobile.
- [UI/minor] Fix main menu cannot be opened after being closed.
- [UI/minor] Fixed misaligned bullet points under compact list density setting on mobile.
That’s it, see you next week!
Last week we mostly worked on improvements for Google Calendar integration and mobile.
For those who enabled Google Calendar last week and want to refresh your current Google Calendar events to use the latest format, there’s an option called “Re-sync to Google Calendar” in the main menu that you can use the force update all the events. This is a temporary option and will be removed after 2 weeks.
Below is the detailed list of improvements and fixes:
- [Google Calendar] Dates at midnight will display as all-day events on Google Calendar.
- [Google Calendar] Dates on Google Calendar will now be removed if they get deleted in Dynalist.
- [Google Calendar] Added an option in settings to turn on or off Google Calendar sync for all documents at once. It’s convenient but use it with caution!
- [Google Calendar] Link to Dynalist item is added to the event description field on Google Calendar, for those whose email client does not display the source link field.
- [Mobile] You can now move items on mobile! Press and hold the bullet point and move your finger around to move it. Android and mobile web only right now, will come to iOS beta soon.
- [Mobile] Added option to only use WiFi to sync. This is available only in the latest version of the Android beta app right now; it will come to the iOS beta app very soon. This is not applicable to the mobile web version.
- [Mobile web/iOS] Added option to toggle checklist and get link on iOS mobile web.
- [Google Calendar] Fixed duplicate calendar items in the dropdown after fetching multiple times.
- [UI/minor] Fixed internal link suggestion popup disappears when clicking on the scrollbar.
- [Mobile/minor] Fixed cannot see the last file in the left file pane on Android.
Over the next weeks we’ll focus on finishing polishing the mobile apps in order to release them soon, as well as improving date support and the move item feature. Stay tuned for future updates!
Here’s the latest from Dynalist:
- Google Calendar integration work. We’ve already testing it live ourselves, and after a few more tweaks it should be ready for you guys!
- [Android/UX] You can now use the back button to exit search, settings, or to close the menu. This is on mobile web only right now, but it’s coming to the Android beta app very soon!
- [UI/minor] The bookmark icon now only shows up when you hover over the current title, making the page cleaner.
- [UI] Fixed dates and internal links being unreadable inside color labels.
- [Mobile/UI] Fixed blank space on the right end of the screen in landscape view on tablets, if the document is set to center aligned (the default setting).
- Fixed slight misalignment between folder titles and document titles.
Last week at Dynalist, we did these things:
- [Mobile/feature] Moved item is now available on mobile web (both Android and iOS)!
- [Mobile/feature] Color labels are now available on Android mobile web, in the three dots menu.
- [Search] Color labels now show up in Search Everywhere results.
- [Landing page] We gave our landing page a refresh! Go to our homepage in incognito mode to check it out if you’re curious.
- [Sharing/UI] Now you can edit someone’s permission with a simple drop-down menu. Before, you had to remove the person and add him/her back with a different permission.
- [Export] Checked items are now exported with strike-through formatting in the “Formatted” section.
- [Clipboard] Fixed newline getting pasted at the end even if you’re only copying a single line.
- [Mobile/UI] Fixed the setting pane not being scrollable on tablets.
- [Mobile/UI] Fixed the white space at the end when scrolling down on mobile.
- [UI/minor] Fixed cursor position not updated correctly after using formatting shortcuts like Ctrl+B.
- [Export] Fixed the export option for the document root item producing empty results.
- [UI/minor] Fixed tags not readable on dark theme.
- [iOS beta fix] Fixed cursor disappearing after hitting Return or Backspace. The new beta version is currently under Apple’s beta app review.
That’s it for this week, see you next week!
Here’s what happened last week:
- Work on Google Calendar integration has begun. In the first iteration of this, our goal is to sync the dates you put in Dynalist to your Google Calendar in the background after you’ve connected your Google Calendar.
- iOS closed beta has started. We’re testing with the first batch of beta tesers, but we’re accepting invite requests too. Just shoot us a note and let us know you’d like to beta test the iOS app.
- Sharing is improved. Now you can invite someone that doesn’t use Dynalist and we’ll send an invitation email on your behalf.
- [Minor/UI] The complete item content is shown when you hover your mouse over a truncated title in the breadcrumb.
- [Minor/UI] Fixed make checklist or numbered list option doesn’t work on the document title.
That’s it, until next time!
The second week of 2017 was mainly a week of catching up:
- Recently we have been extensively refactoring. Entropy inevitably increases and things get messy, so we need to spend time putting things back to place to shake off some dead weight from time to time, just like how we need to thoroughly clean our house once in a while. This would allow us develop things faster in the future, reduce unpredictable bugs, and sometimes get surprise performance gains.
- New move item option: you can now choose where to move your item, the beginning or the end of the destination parent. This option is in Settings – Preferences – Move item.
- [UI/minor] The deletion confirmation now shows “folder” or “document” rather than the generic “file”.
- A bunch of minor bugs crept in after the refactor. We fixed some and are in the processing of fixing more. It’s unfortunate but we believe it’s worth it in the long term.
That’s it guys, until next time!
It’s the first week of 2017 already! This weekly update is probably our simplest in history:
- Color labels. Now you can add colors to items! For more details, see this post.
- Move items anywhere. Use this to move items to anywhere in your Dynalist. For more details, see this post.
- Added color label search. The syntax is in the format of “color:red”. It’s also in the search tips that pop up when you open search.
That’s it for this week, until next time!
Hi guys! This is the last weekly update from 2016, the next will be from 2017!
Without further ado:
- Two heavily requested features are in their final stages, and we’re super excited to release them either later this week or next week. You’re welcome to guess which features they are! 🙂
- New release notification. Now you receive dismissible notification when a new version is available, so it’s easier to stay up-to-date.
- [UX] Fixed page doesn’t scroll when necessary when using the Up or Down keys.
- [Copy paste] Fixed cannot paste into document title.
- [Mobile/UI] Fixed cannot open the “More options” menu on Android mobile web.
- [Mobile/UI] Fixed tapping the current pane name (“Files” or “Bookmarks”) in the left pane would hide everything.
- [UI/minor] Fixed “Expand all” is displayed in the node menu of the document when “Collapse all” should’ve been displayed.
That’s it guys, stay tuned for the next feature releases, and we’ll see you next week! Happy New Year!
Happy holidays! We hope you all had a great one! 😀
As usual, here’s from last week:
- [Mobile] File menu is now accessible on mobile! You can make changes to documents, folders, and bookmarks by tapping on the “Down” arrow button next to each document or file.
- [Sharing/minor] Removed option to delete the owner him/herself.
- Limited-time Christmas theme. The color theme is from last year, but because the interface of Dynalist changed a lot, we spent some time tweaking it for the current layout.
- Promotion system. We didn’t have a promotion system before this Christmas sale, so that needed to be built too. If you didn’t know, until January 5, 2017 you can use the code XMAS16 to get 50% off your purchase (one-time only).
- [UI/formatting] Fixed bug where if the previous sibling has long Markdown, you could not drag or edit the item without “un-rendering” its previous silbing.
This week will be the last week of 2016, and the next weekly update will be posted in 2017 (I know, unbelievable, right?). See you then!
Happy holidays guys! This is the weekly update for week #50. We have more holiday surprises in store for you guys tomorrow and the day after, stay tuned! 😉
Here’s what’s new from last week:
- [Mobile] Search Everywhere is now available on mobile web! When searching, tap on the “globe” icon to switch to the global mode. In the global mode, tap the “document” icon to go back to the document mode.
- [Desktop app] The upload manager is now available on the desktop apps as well.
- [Desktop app] The zoom level is now saved and restored when you restart the app.
- [Export] Heading 1,2, and 3 are now exported properly in the formatted version.
- [Sync performance] Fixed moving or copying a large amount of items at once will cause “Can’t sync” and get stuck like that. We found out it was due to a configuration on our server. It happened pretty rarely, only when you move at least thousands of items at once.
- [UI/selection] Fixed dragging to select sometimes doesn’t “stick” when you’re dealing with items that contain Markdown.
- [UI/performance] Fixed typing Enter to create new item while searching feels extremely slow in some cases.
- [Keyboard] Fixed Shift+Up/Down doesn’t have browser default behavior in a multi-line item.
- [UI/minor] Fixed show note icon showing up in Search Everywhere results.
That’s it guys, happy holidays, stay warm, and stay tuned for our surprises later this week!