As usual, below is our update for May. Sorry for being a little late because of the migration.
If you often search for things that are several levels deep and find the page crowded by all the items up the chain, the new flat search is here for you.
After entering the keyboard, either click on “Flat search” or use the Shift+Enter shortcut. The result, like Search Everywhere, is read-only. Clicking on the item will lead you there.
- Tags now auto-complete in Search Everywhere too.
- We have migrated Dynalist to dedicated servers. Dedicated servers make Dynalist much more reliable. The new servers are also much more performant in every way. As a result, Dynalist now loads faster for most people.
- Visual improvement for the upload manager.
- When clicking on a search result bookmark, it will now update the current page even if you’re already on it. Before, nothing will happen and you won’t get the updated search results by clicking on the current bookmark. You had to click something else and come back in order to see the updated search results.
- Fixed pasting multiple paragraphs doesn’t properly convert formatting into Markdown.
- Fixed using Ctrl+Shift+V to paste without formatting will paste twice on the desktop app.
- Fixed items showing up as checked in Move Item and Internal Link suggestions if the document root is accidentally checked off.
- Fixed zooming out not landing you on the current item.
- Fixed item bullet tooltip getting cropped out by the file pane.
Update: migration is smooth; it took us 90 minutes less than predicted. Dynalist is now also quite a bit faster! 🙂
Because of the downtime we had last week (see the postmortem post for details), we will migrate to a new dedicated server. This will require some downtime for the migration.
The migration will take place from 8 PM on 2019/6/1 to 1 AM on 2019/6/2 EDT. We have chosen this time period in order to affect the least amount of users; we’re really sorry if you’re going to access Dynalist at that time.
During the downtime, you will not be able to load the Dynalist web app nor access our web pages. If you’re using the desktop app or the mobile app, changes will be only be saved locally. Once the new server is up and running, the unsynced changes will be synced to our server.
If you want to be able to work on your Dynalist documents during the downtime, please download our desktop app or mobile app in advance. Thanks!
Hi All! Here’s our update for April:
- Tags now auto-complete in search. Woohoo!
- To make things even better, tags also auto-completes in inbox capture.
- Checked status, color label, and heading now show up in mind map view.
- Added custom shortcuts for deleting checked items.
- Fixed pasting an image doesn’t upload it for Dynalist Pro users.
- Various mind map view fixes.
- Fixed date picker and “[[” popups sometimes gets cropped.
- On the mobile apps, fixed tapping on the expand/collapse button will scroll you to the previously focused item (a mobile update will be released soon).
- Fixed “No result found” getting stuck after you clear search term in file finder.
- Fixed certain functions not available in LaTeX.
Last month we’ve been working on refreshing the mind map view (a Dynalist Pro feature).
The prototype has been there all the time (look at this jumpy screenshot from three years ago!). This time around, we made a bunch of improvements:
- The nodes no longer jump around
- Markdown and links are properly rendered
- Zoom in and out with your mouse wheel to see the big picture
- Breadcrumb on the top
- Go back and forward in browser history
- Mind map view is encoded in the URL
How to use
You can open the mind map view from here (Pro account required):
And voilà! You have a mind map version of your document!
If you need some Dynalist Pro trial time to give it a try, don’t hesitate to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re happy to help!
There are lots of improvements we’d like to bring to the mind map view.
To list a few of them:
[Done] Make it use the font you choose in settings
[Done] Switching document while in the mind map view doesn’t work yet
- Make items in mind map editable
- Display color labels and headings (coming soon!)
It’s an experiment, after all, it’s by no means a standard outliner feature. So whether we would continue to develop things on this list would depend on how the mind map view is received.
That means, if you have any feedback or ideas on how to make the mind map view more useful, feel free to let us know! Thanks so much 🙂
Hi all! We were on semi-vacation for most of this month, and this is what we managed to get done between jet lags:
Features & improvements
- You can now complete multiple recurring dates and they will update in bulk.
- “[[” link suggestion dialog now prioritizes results from the same document.
- When clicking tags while holding the Alt key to delete them, now extra whitespace will be properly removed, so that when you delete 10 consecutive tags, you don’t end up with a bunch of spaces.
- API improvement: when capture to inbox or creating new items, now the IDs of the newly created items will be returned for your convenience.
- Fixed WorkFlowy import no longer working as they’ve changed their interface.
Happy New Year! Is everyone used to the year 2019 now? I know we haven’t 😉
Here’s our update for January 2019:
Features & improvements
- Two new themes, Sakura and Sci-Fi, are now added. Sakura is a girly light pink theme that’s perfect for the springtime, and Sci-Fi is a dark theme that features futurist cyberpunk colors.
- Now when you create a document, it will be automatically opened.
- Fixed the iOS freeze issue when you resume the app.
- Fixed inbox capture not working on the first try on mobile apps (v1.3.1).
- Fixed desktop app title not updated properly when you switch between documents.
Happy New Year y’all!
The big news from December is that we released the new recurring date Pro feature (read about it here). It’s always been one of the most requested features since the introduction of dates, and we’re glad to have it ready before 2019.
Now that 2018 has passed, we thought it’s a good time to review what we did last year:
In 2019, collaboration and extensibility will be our two biggest themes. We want Dynalist to work better for teams, and we want it to work better for power users, who are improving themselves and changing the world. We’ll also be improving the mobile experience.
We hope you continue to enjoy Dynalist and recommend it to your friends. If you ever need anything, you can reach us by dropping us a line or post in the forum.
Finally you can set recurring dates in Dynalist!
Note: this feature is Pro-only.
Recurring dates makes managing repeating tasks easy. When checking off a recurring date, the next occurrence will be automatically generated. You also have the option to update the existing item rather than creating a new one.
In addition to the commonly used daily and weekly tasks, you can also define your custom recurring tasks. You can even specify certain days in a week.
For a complete guide on how to use recurring dates, click here.
This has been one of the most requested features for a long time, and we’re grateful for your patience. Enjoy!
P.S. This is not the final version and we’ll iterate on it. So don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any feedback! If you’re interested in trying it out, just drop us a line to request some free Pro trial.
Hi all! Here’s our update for November 2018:
Features & improvements
- You can now add words to dictionary on the desktop app (Version 1.1.14+)! I was finally able to add the abbreviations that I commonly use to the dictionary. It felt great 😉
- If you write in multiple languages, you can now also select which language you want the spellchecker to check. The option can be found in in Settings – Preferences – Input. (Available in version 1.1.14+)
- We have finished designing the specs of recurring dates and are currently working on it. We are aiming to have it available before Christmas. Stay tuned!
Like we did last time with dates, now we’re designing recurring dates out in the open.
Come to our forum thread and voice your preferences to help us make something that works for you!